The ACLU of Texas seeks a full-time Border Communications Strategist to develop and implement communication strategies that protect the civil liberties of immigrants and all border residents. The Communications Strategist is responsible for drafting and editing media content including press releases, blogs, articles, and social media content. The Communications Strategist will work closely with members of the ACLU Border Rights Center (BRC) to amplify and publicize the work of the BRC, educate the public, engage the ACLU’s base online, and influence how border issues are framed in the media. Content will differ for different audiences, which could include: members of Congress, supporters, and national media outlets.
Under the supervision of the ACLU of Texas Director of Communications, the Border Communications Strategist will collaborate with the staff of the BRC to oversee, produce and coordinate the communications that support the work of the ACLU southwest border affiliates, Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.
The position is based in either the ACLU of Texas' El Paso or Houston office. Spanish language proficiency is required.
- Advise and collaborate with BRC staff to identify and achieve communications goals;
- Assist with media relations including outreach to publications, press conferences, and fielding reporter calls;
- Coordinate communication of border affiliate local work with ACLU National and border affiliates;
- With the ACLU of Texas communications team: create and/or produce BRC communications content, including news releases, Op-Eds, blog posts, and social media content and other materials as needed;
- Work with research consultants to produce and edit high quality print materials such as advocacy reports, fact sheets (one-pagers).
- 3+ years’ experience in writing, editing, and formulating copy;
- Ability to speak and write Spanish fluently;
- Ability to quickly produce clear, persuasive, well-organized and fact-checked written materials, as needed;
- Excellent written and editing skills with the ability to draft content under tight deadlines, and synthesize complex information from a variety of sources, including attorneys, lobbyists, and policy experts;
- Creative and results-oriented approach;
- Willingness to take initiative;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a commitment to diversity;
- Able to work independently and as a team member with enthusiasm and a sense of humor;
- Flexible schedule and ability to travel or work non-traditional hours as needed;
- Must strongly support priority issues of the ACLU and be familiar with social justice, civil rights, or civil liberties issues.
- Basic graphic design skills
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience working in journalism or media relations
- Experience in social justice advocacy work
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of ACLU of Texas’s salary scale. Excellent benefits include a generous Paid Time Off policy, medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with an employer match; life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Electronic applications in MS Word preferred. Submit a letter of interest mentioning where you saw this posting, along with a résumé and the ACLU of Texas application to:
or mail: ACLU of Texas
Attn: Border Communications Strategist
PO Box 8306, Houston, TX 77288-8306
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.