The ACLU of Texas seeks a passionate and creative individual for a new full-time Communications Strategist position for its Border Rights Center (BRC), located in El Paso, Texas. Under the BRC Director’s supervision, the Communications Strategist will participate in developing and creating communications campaigns to protect the civil rights and liberties of immigrants, communities of color, and all border residents.
The BRC coordinates border-wide efforts to combat the federal government’s unconstitutional and inhumane immigration enforcement policies and practices that detrimentally affect roughly 15 million people who call southwest border communities home. The BRC plays a central role in formulating and carrying out border-related policy and advocacy strategies. It also supports the legal work of ACLU affiliates on the southern border and relevant ACLU national projects through fact-finding, research, federal, state, and local advocacy, coalition building, and grassroots and grasstops communications and organizing. The BRC coordinates joint strategies and actions to align with national and regional coalitions that seek to prevent and mitigate the effects of the government’s harsh immigration enforcement, abuse of power and militarization of border communities that result in the criminalization of immigrants and mass incarceration.
The position is based in the ACLU of Texas's El Paso or Houston office. Spanish language proficiency is preferred but not required.
Under the supervision of the BRC Director, the BRC Communications Strategist will oversee, produce and coordinate the communications that support the work of the ACLU southwest border affiliates, Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas in shared goals to protect and defend the constitutional rights of border residents in the following way:
- Lead the development and execution of creative communications strategies that support the Center’s goals and supports the local border work of the affiliates;
- The Communication Strategist should be, at different times, a writer, project manager, critical and creative thinker, storyteller, and communication expert;
- Develop new content for advocacy and public-education initiatives online and through print collateral, providing project management support to border affiliates and helping drive the organization’s communications, marketing, and advocacy initiatives;
- Work collaboratively with other ACLU border affiliate and National ACLU communications departments to coordinate and execute effective campaigns;
- Design and manage the Center’s web and social media presence and e-advocacy campaigns.
- Serve as lead writer for print and online publications that inspire individuals to act and educate the public about border issues;
- Compose blogs, emails, and social-media posts targeted at specific audiences;
- Create talking points for the BRC and border affiliate personnel;
- Assist with media relations including outreach, social media, maintenance of the organization’s media-relations software, and fielding reporter calls;
- Assist with organizing public events and public meetings, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education and experience with at least five years’ experience in new media, digital communications, telecommunications, branding, and/or message development;
- Ability to quickly produce clear, persuasive, well-organized and fact-checked materials, as needed;
- Excellent writing skills with the ability and willingness to produce content under tight deadlines, synthesizing complex information from a variety of sources, including attorneys, Regional Center personnel and volunteers, policy makers, lobbyists and public-relations professionals, and other colleagues;
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, willing to learn, able to manage an aggressive schedule, willing to work beyond 9-5 as needed;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of all types, including but not limited to race, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance; Able to work collaboratively with colleagues and other departments as an effective team leader, sense of humor a must;
- Ability to travel;
- Must strongly support priority issues of the ACLU and be familiar with social justice, civil rights, or civil liberties issues.
- Proven expertise in graphic design, website development and management, and social media;
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro, and Drupal;
- Experience with content management systems and search engine optimization;
- Spanish language proficiency/li>
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of ACLU of Texas’s salary scale. Excellent benefits include a generous Paid Time Off policy, medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with an employer match; life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Electronic applications in MS Word preferred. Submit a letter of interest mentioning where you saw this posting, along with a résumé and the ACLU of Texas application to:
or mail: ACLU of Texas
Attn: BRC Communications Strategist
PO Box 8306, Houston, TX 77288-8306
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.