The Finance Assistant must have a strong understanding of and passion for the ACLU mission. The person in this position should demonstrate an interest in learning about and becoming conversant in ACLU’s work across the many issue areas of civil liberties and civil rights, particularly identified strategic priority issues. The Finance Assistant will have to work independently as well as collaborate with others as a part of a team in a collaborative environment.
The finance assistant role is primarily supportive in nature and plays a crucial role in handling day-to-day activities of the Management & Administration team. Finance assistant responsibilities comprise a wide range of duties and functions to support the smooth operation of the Management & Administration team, assisting with financial input and interpretation and administration functions.
- Accounts Receivable- proper processing of payments and invoicing of clients;
- Accounts Payable- Input and process vendor invoices;
- Project Setup & Closing;
- Assist in general ledger account and credit card reconciliation;
- Assist in generating of financial reports (monthly, quarterly & yearly);
- Prepare and Review all cash disbursement requests (CDRs), verifying accuracy and completeness of supporting documentation and approvals;
- Maintain, complete, and organize accounts payable files for all vendors, including W9 forms as appropriate;
- Research and resolve outstanding AP checks monthly;
- Train new employees on the CDR preparation process and ensure compliance with policies and procedures;
- Prepare ad hoc expense reports as requested by management;
- Ensure accuracy and timely mailing of 1099s and Form 1096;
- Assist with preparation for external audits. Complete auditor fieldwork requests as needed;
- Help facilitate communication and enhance relationships between the Finance Department and other departments in the organization;
- Review time cards and maintain accurate PTO balances;
- Assist in benefit and payroll administration;
- Maintain and file all documentation related to activity conducted in the Finance Department;
- Maintain compliance protocols in accordance with Federal, State and Local regulations across multiple states;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; preference given to candidates having or pursuing Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting;
- One year of accounts payable and one year of accounting experience required (experience may be concurrent);
- Prior experience using accounting software required;
- Proficient in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications; knowledge of computerized accounting systems;
- Nonprofit/social services experience strongly preferred;
- Human Resource experience desirable;
- Focus on precision and attention to detail;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- The ability to quickly learn new tasks;
- Team player who will own the quality and timeliness of their work;
- Flexibility - you will be involved in a wide variety of activities on a daily/weekly basis;
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and automobile liability insurance;
- Travel and flexible work schedule may be required.
Electronic applications in MS Word preferred. Submit a letter of interest mentioning where you saw this posting, along with a résumé and the ACLU of Texas application to:
or mail: ACLU of Texas
Attn: Finance Assistant
PO Box 8306, Houston, TX 77288-8306
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.