The ACLU is the nation's foremost defender of civil liberties and civil rights, dedicated to defending the Bill of Rights and advocating for marginalized communities through litigation, legislation, and public education. The ACLU of Texas, founded in 1938 and headquartered in Houston, is one of the largest ACLU affiliates in the nation. The ACLU of Texas has regional offices in Austin, Brownsville, Dallas, and El Paso.
Whether it's protecting the rights of immigrants, ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ community, combating voter suppression, or preserving reproductive rights, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil rights and liberties cases to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The ACLU of Texas seeks a full-time Litigation Assistant in its Houston office to provide strategic support and coordination for the Legal Department. Under the supervision of the Legal Program Manager, they will help manage legal filings and administrative support for the department. This position requires a self-directed, highly organized person with energy, initiative, and enthusiasm.
Responsibilities & Expectations
- Perform general administrative duties as needed.
- Assist in case management, including maintenance of client relationships, court records and electronic files.
- Anticipate and identify litigation tasks in case management including but not limited to calendaring and case files.
- Conduct factual investigations related to potential civil rights violations, including handling on-site interviews and witness development.
- Assist with finalizing motions and preparing discovery requests and responses, as appropriate.
- Assist with drafting legal letters, FOIA and Public Information Act requests, and other correspondence, and managing responses.
- Perform general litigation support staff work, including preparing documents for filing in court, cite-checking, proof reading, and using PACER and Westlaw.
- Assist with management of intake process, including coordinating intake review and data entry.
- Prepare reports including but not limited to metrics and maintaining the legal docket.
- Commitment to civil liberties and to the work of the ACLU of Texas.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and handle a variety of tasks, and meet established deadlines.
- Writing proficiency and attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Strong internet research skills.
- Well organized, efficient, and highly motivated.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work in a fast-paced workplace.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, experience working with a multicultural workforce. Sensitivity and appreciation of cultural differences is required.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Spanish speaking preferred.
- Willingness to in the evening hours and on weekends, when necessary.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU of Texas' salary scale.
Please submit an application here.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Texas reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, previous criminal conviction, and veteran status.