The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas is the leading civil rights organizations in the Lone Star State. We work in courts, legislatures, and communities to protect and extend the civil rights for Texans throughout the state. The ACLU of Texas is both a nonprofit and nonpartisan organization. The ACLU of Texas operates professional offices in Houston, Austin, Dallas, El Paso, and Brownsville, Texas.
The ACLU of Texas seeks a Media Relations Associate to help in growing our media presence and relationships throughout the state on a variety of highly-publicized civil liberties issues, including smart justice, immigrants’ rights, LGBTQ equality, reproductive freedom, free speech, and voting rights. The Media Relations Associate will assist in media outreach efforts to support offices throughout Texas for the organization’s legal, policy, and advocacy work. This position will provide opportunities to hone skills in nonprofit communications, including writing, editing, coordinating publications, participating in new media, and creating multimedia projects.
The position is based in the ACLU of Texas’ Houston office. Spanish language proficiency is required.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Monitor all aspects of news relating to the company’s, in a bid to provide timely alerts to issue area experts;
- Track media coverage of the ACLU of Texas and prepare a daily memo updating staff on news coverage relevant to ACLU of Texas work;
- Create and submit concise reports and summaries, on key stories, such as incisive assessments and evaluations;
- Using online databases, assist in media monitoring and research;
- Monitor coverages of political campaigns in the election by the mass media;
- Analyze media campaign performances, and research results using a variety of tools;
- Assist with directing and logging media requests;
- Research, develop and maintain press lists;
- Assist with writing and editing press materials, blog posts, social media content, and public education materials;
- Work with Communications Coordinator to pitch story ideas to journalists;
- Assist in maintaining and building relationships with reporters across Texas covering our key issues;
- Provide logistical support and technical assistance at press conferences or media attended events;
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills and abilities;
- Ability to manage administrative duties;
- Adapt to complex working environments;
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines;
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills;
- Be self-motivated, conscientious, attentive to detail, and unafraid to ask questions;
- Flexible and willing to learn, grow, and take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position evolve.
- 1+ years of experience and / or training in journalism, public relations, non-profit communications, or related fields;
- Results-oriented with demonstrated ability to plan, organize, prioritize, track progress and meet goals;
- Computer proficiency, including website management – familiarity with website maintenance and ability to create and upload web content;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, research skills, and interpersonal communications skills;
- Strong attention to detail, ability to write and deliver work products under deadlines, and commitment to high quality standards;
- Ability to speak and write Spanish fluently;
- Willing to travel;
- Flexible schedule and ability to work non-traditional hours as needed;
- Commitment to civil liberties and to the work of the ACLU of Texas.
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of ACLU of Texas’s salary scale. Excellent benefits include a generous Paid Time Off policy, medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with an employer match; life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Electronic applications in MS Word preferred. Submit a letter of interest mentioning where you saw this posting, along with a résumé and the ACLU of Texas application to:
or mail: ACLU of Texas
Attn: Media Relations Associate
PO Box 8306, Houston, TX 77288-8306
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.