The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas is the leading civil rights organizations in the Lone Star State. We work in courts, legislatures, and communities to protect and extend the civil rights for Texans throughout the state. The ACLU of Texas is both a nonprofit and nonpartisan organization. The ACLU of Texas operates professional offices in Houston, Austin, Dallas, El Paso, and Brownsville, Texas.
The Media Relations Coordinator is a team player who supports the media relations work of the ACLU of Texas, helping to generate both proactive and reactive media coverage, as well as help in developing media relationships with key reporters in the ACLU of Texas’ markets.
The Media Relations Coordinator will work with the Director of Communications, the Senior Communications Manager, and the Border Rights Strategist on media relations projects – from media list development and management, pitch development, pitching outreach with reporters, and tracking successful media hits. The Media Relations Coordinator will work across all ACLU of Texas groups, including Legal, Policy, and Border Rights to support the key issue areas of the ACLU, including voting rights, LGBTQ rights, immigrants’ rights, smart justice, and reproductive freedom.
The Media Relations Coordinator also brings new media relations ideas that generate “media buzz” to accomplish advocacy and brand earned media goals.
- Managing and updating database of media contacts (Cision)
- Tracking and measuring earned media impressions/reach to use data for continuous improvement
- Proactively developing relationships with reporters and influencers in key issue areas, pitching ACLU of Texas story ideas in alignment with reporters’ beats and areas of interest
- Responding quickly to breaking news and opportunities to get ACLU of Texas included in the news cycle
- Supporting in press events and live or virtual press conferences
- Helping to prep staff/spokespeople for media interviews through key message development and is a media resource to all ACLU of Texas staff
- Supporting the drafting of press releases, media alerts, position statements, talking points and other media materials according to AP Style, industry, and ACLU standards
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills and abilities
- Ability to manage administrative duties
- Adapt to complex working environments
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Be self-motivated, conscientious, attentive to detail, and unafraid to ask questions
- Flexible and willing to learn, grow, and take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position evolve
- A bachelor’s degree in mass communications, journalism or public relations is required
- At least two years of experience in media relations work, either directly in a newsroom setting or in a PR agency environment or related field
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Strong writing skills, including understanding of AP Style
- Excellent pitching skills
- Support the ACLU of Texas mission and values
- Commitment to civil liberties and to the work of the ACLU of Texas.
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU of Texas' salary scale.
Please submit an application here.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Texas reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, previous criminal conviction, and veteran status.