The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas is the leading civil rights organization in the Lone Star State. We work in courts, legislatures, and communities to protect and extend the civil rights for Texans throughout the state. The ACLU of Texas is both a nonprofit and nonpartisan organization. The ACLU of Texas operates professional offices in Houston, Austin, Dallas, El Paso, and Brownsville, Texas.
The ACLU of Texas seeks a highly motivated individual with a passion for civil rights and civil liberties, as well as having the initiative and energy to see projects/tasks to completion. The Policy and Advocacy Digital Strategist reports to the Statewide Policy and Advocacy Manager and helps incorporate digital strategies for engagement and education into all issue area campaigns.
The Policy and Advocacy Digital Strategist is an integral part of the Policy and Advocacy team, expected to work collaboratively within the department and across the organization. This role is focused on integrating community engagement strategies into a coordinated online strategy focusing specifically on digital organizing. The role is highly collaborative and works across ACLU of Texas departments: Policy and Advocacy, Communications, and Legal.
- Helps execute compelling digital campaigns that educate and inspire supporters to take action our policy objectives.
- Assists in statewide volunteer mobilization efforts, with a special focus in online engagement, to achieve departmental objectives in one or more policy areas through a combination of policy knowledge and digital influencing skills, with guidance and support from the supervisor.
- Supports their team in identifying opportunities for high-impact digital engagement and advocacy campaigns through email and text channels.
- Maintains knowledge of a priority issue(s) and the key influencers and organizations that shape the issue(s) at the local/regional level.
- Participates in strategy development for the department, making strategic recommendations for action, and helping build a digital campaign.
- Drafts copy for email correspondence, online action, and other documents to a high standard of accuracy, and readability, with the goal of recruiting and activating potential volunteers through a digital campaign. Takes point on the logistics of all online organizing/education events.
- Helps maintain VAN database.
- Represents the organization in coalitions, and other forums at the local and regional level.
- Maintains strong internal coordination toward objectives through relationships, agenda-driven meetings, email, and appropriate elevation as issues arise.
- Contributes to departmental strategic planning
- Written and verbal communication. Quickly produces written products, including internal emails and memos, that summarize information and present options for action. Able to communicate with internal and external stakeholders clearly and with empathy.
- Organizational relations: Represents departmental and organizational positions in internal and external negotiations to achieve objectives. Responsive to requests for action, internally and externally.
- Teamwork: Brings a positive, problem-solving attitude to relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Dependability: Follows through on assignments. Colleagues can count on you to complete assignments on time and in line with expectations, communicating along the way.
- At least three years of experience working in community organizing, political campaigns, and/or public policy research and advocacy. At least one of those years with a focus on digital organizing or online campaign work.
- Interest in expanding policy knowledge and influencing skills to achieve public policy objectives that improve civil liberties in Texas.
- Comfortable working under deadline and in a rapid response environment.
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, and communications tools. Familiarity with digital organizing platforms including VAN and Facebook. Familiarity with SMS texting campaigns preferred, but not required
- Flexible schedule and ability to work non-traditional hours as needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties.
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of ACLU of Texas’s salary scale. Excellent benefits include a generous Paid Time Off policy, medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with an employer match; life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Please submit an application here.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Texas reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. The ACLU of Texas undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.