The ACLU of Texas’ Political Program seeks a highly motivated individual with a passion for civil rights and civil liberties, as well as having the initiative and energy to see projects/tasks to completion. This position will work at the ACLU of Texas’ Austin Office as well as the Texas state Capitol and surrounding area. As part of the ACLU of Texas' Political Strategies team, and in collaboration with other ACLU of Texas staff, the Political Intern will:
- Work with the ACLU of Texas’ Political Strategists, Political Deputy Director(s), Director and others in drafting, editing, and reviewing various documents;
- Coordinate meetings between ACLU of Texas’ employees and relevant political figures, strategists, and ACLU of Texas partners;
- Complete basic research and political analysis;
- Make deliveries/runs between those actively working at the Texas Legislative Session and ACLU of Texas’ Austin Office.
The best candidate for this position will have general knowledge of the Texas Legislative Session and policies effecting Texans. This position should meet the following qualifications:
- Actively pursuing or holding a B.A. or other advanced degree in public policy or closely related field;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in coordinating multiple stakeholders to identify priorities and work toward shared goals;
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously;
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills;
- Background in advocacy, with experience at the state legislature a bonus;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to see a project through from start to finish with minimal supervision;
- Fluency in Spanish a plus;
- Willingness to utilize public transportation when commuting between the capitol and ACLU of Texas’ Austin Office.
This is an hourly position with no benefits paying above living wage.
Electronic applications in MS Word preferred. Submit a letter of interest mentioning where you saw this posting, along with a résumé and the ACLU of Texas application to:
or mail: ACLU of Texas
Attn: Political Intern
PO Box 8306, Houston, TX 77288-8306
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.