The ACLU of Texas seeks a passionate and creative individual for the position of Political Strategist, to lead the affiliate's policy and political work protecting and defending the Voting Rights or Texans and their families. As part of the ACLU of Texas' Political Strategies team - and in collaboration with other ACLU of Texas staff, our nationwide partners at the ACLU, and partner organizations in Texas and beyond - the Political Strategist will:
- Lead the development and execution of creative strategies that support Voting Rights policy goals at the state Capitol and support local work, coordinating closely with the ACLU of Texas' legal team and other program departments;
- Provide in-depth research and draft policy, advocacy, and public education materials on issues related to the Voting Rights of Texans, specifically where they intersect with constitutional rights;
- Participate in, and where appropriate lead, joint initiatives with organizational partners and coalition members;
- Work with the communications team to develop traditional media and social media advocacy pieces, which may include: drafting press releases, working with reporters, coordinating press events, and developing content, as well as serving as a media spokesperson on the issue in print and broadcast media.
- Work closely and coordinate with the national Voting Rights projects and other ACLU colleagues on shared initiatives;
- Work with politicians to pass legislation that meets ACLU's goals and serve as a spokesperson to the Texas Legislature;
- Identify opportunities to improve the impact of the work of the ACLU of Texas around these priority issues.
The best candidate for this position will have broad and deep knowledge of the impact of state and federal Voting Rights policies on communities in Texas. This position serves as a point person for this work of the ACLU of Texas and will meet the following qualifications:
- B.A. desired, with degree in public policy, J.D., or similar studies a plus;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in coordinating multiple stakeholders to identify and work toward shared goals;
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously;
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills;
- Background in advocacy, with experience at the state legislature preferred;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to see a project through from start to finish with minimal supervision yet a great deal of input and collaboration with internal and external partners;
- Fluency in Spanish a plus;
- A sense of humor;
- Willing and able to travel.
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of ACLU of Texas’s salary scale. Excellent benefits include a generous Paid Time Off policy, medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with an employer match; life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Electronic applications in MS Word preferred. Submit a letter of interest mentioning where you saw this posting, along with a résumé and the ACLU of Texas application to:
or mail: ACLU of Texas
Attn: Political Strategist – Voting Rights
PO Box 8306, Houston, TX 77288-8306
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.