Despite the ongoing Voter ID litigation involving the State of Texas, a federal court order remains in place that expands voting opportunities for voters who don’t have photo ID. Here’s what you need to know.

What Kind of ID Do I Need?

  • a Texas driver license
  • an election identification certificate (a photo ID for voting)
  • a personal identification card from the Texas Department of Public Safety
  • a U.S. military ID card with your photo
  • a U.S. citizenship certificate with your photo
  • a U.S. passport
  • a license to carry a concealed handgun from the Texas Department of Public Safety

To avoid problems or delays, try to make sure the name on your ID is the same as the name on your Voter Registration Certificate.

Can I Use An Expired ID?

Yes, but only if it expired no more than four years from the day you vote.

What If I Don’t Have the Right Kind of ID?

You can still vote! Here's how:

  1. Tell the poll worker you want to complete a “reasonable impediment declaration.” This simple document lets you explain the difficulty that prevented you from getting a photo ID. Reasonable impediments to getting a photo ID include work schedule, lack of transportation, disability, and family responsibilities.
  2. Fill out the form and present it to the poll worker. Poll workers can’t question or challenge you about not having a photo ID, or the reason you give on your “reasonable impediments declaration.”
  3. Show one of the following documents:
    • Current utility bill
    • Bank statement
    • Paycheck
    • Voter Registration Certificate
    • Certified birth certificate
    • Government check
    • Any other government document with your name and address

Need Help or More Information?

Stay informed

ACLU of Texas is part of a network of affiliates

Learn more about ACLU National