This content is intended to serve as general information; it is not legal advice nor intended as legal advice.

Here's what you need to know about Texas Voter ID laws to exercise your right to vote:

What Kind of ID Do I Need?

  • Texas driver license
  • Election identification certificate (a photo ID for voting)
  • Personal identification card from the Texas Department of Public Safety
  • U.S. military ID card with your photo
  • U.S. citizenship certificate with your photo
  • U.S. passport
  • License to carry a concealed handgun from the Texas Department of Public Safety

Your address on the ID is not required to match your address on your Voter Registration Certificate.

Can I Use An Expired ID?

Yes, but only if it expired no more than four years from the day you vote. If you are over 70 years old, you may use an expired ID if it is otherwise valid.

What If I Don’t Have the Right Kind of ID?

You can still vote! If you are a registered voter who couldn’t obtain one of the above forms of ID, you can still cast a regular ballot. Here's how:

  1. Tell the poll worker you want to complete a “reasonable impediment declaration.” This simple document lets you explain the difficulty that prevented you from getting a photo ID. Reasonable impediments to getting a photo ID include work schedule, lack of transportation, disability or illness, family responsibilities, lost or stolen identification, lack of documents needed to obtain a photo ID, and photo ID applied for but not received.
  2. Fill out the form and present it to the poll worker. Poll workers can’t question or challenge you about not having a photo ID, or the reason you give on your “reasonable impediments declaration.”
  3. Show one of the following documents:
    • Current utility bill
    • Bank statement
    • Paycheck
    • Voter Registration Certificate
    • Certified birth certificate
    • Government check
    • Any other government document with your name and address

Need Help or More Information?